Journeys

Journeys
Why do they cover the bridges? Anyone know?

Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, after last week's tears, I think it only fitting that I ignore the hours of reading I should be doing (and the paper that I have to turn in tonight that I haven't even begun to write) and tell you all about my happy "Pink Night".

Two Sundays ago a very pleasant young man in my ward (though none of us are young in the traditional, "in our 20's" sense) invited me to dinner. I was delighted to come to dinner, and asked what I could bring, assuming it was a group of us getting together. He said he'd get back to me. He did get back to me, but never told me what to bring. I received instead a delightful (dare I say "cute," in relation to anything created by a man?) internet invitation inviting me to "Pink Night." So, I brought chocolate no-bake cookies. It turned out to be a date - and a very pink one.

He met me at my car and walked me up to his apartment where I found the table set for four (his roommate and a date were joining us), with pink name cards in front and pink, hand-made valentine cards on the plates. In the middle was a plate of hand-dipped chocolate-covered cherries (which, it turned out, his mother had made and sent him). I quickly realized my chocolate cookies would not go with the theme at all. I should have paid more attention! Even the soap in the bathroom was pink!

We ate dinner: Pink Lady apples with cheese for an appetizer, salad with a pink salad dressing, pink salmon with pomegranate sauce (and, oh, it was exquisite!), and pasta with a "pink" marinara sauce (and by "pink" I mean it was really rather orange). Later we stood around the piano and sang primary songs, after which we had strawberry smoothies (which I proceeded to spill down my front) and chocolate cookies. And about all the chocolates our little tummies could take. So much for my personal ban on sugar! But this major leap off the wagon was worth it!

As we left, the boys gave us each a pink rose and walked us to our cars. I don't remember the last time I was treated with such thoughtfulness - ever - but especially for Valentine's Day. I felt like a queen (even with strawberry shake down my front). I feel very grateful.

Some of our conversation that night revolved around "the privilege to wait" - by which they were talking about how challenging it is for all of us (the boys brought it up) to wait for the promises of the Lord, but how so many of the Lord's chosen had to wait (Abraham and Sarah for Isaac, Isaac for Rebeccah, Jacob for Rachel, Joseph in Egypt, etc.), but they did find joy in the promises of the Lord, and saw those promises fulfilled. With men like these two out there waiting too, I believe it will be worth the wait. And in the meantime, I sure am glad I have such great friends! I hope everyone out there, with a valentine or not, shares much love today.

No comments:

Post a Comment