Journeys

Journeys
Why do they cover the bridges? Anyone know?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Boston streets, January drizzle, and Karl Marx



Ignore my delightful pictures of crawling into the snow/rock cave at Donut Falls, and first answer this question (then look to your heart's content). What do streets in Boston, yucky January drizzle, and Karl Marx all have in common? Nothing - except that they are all an annoying part of my life at the moment! Even with the GPS (and thank goodness for it, or there would be no hope at all!), navigating the streets in Boston - I think they are like a big pot of spaghettie noodles that someone dropped all over the ground and called them streets - is like a bad dream. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I'm in some kind of dream world like the movie Inception. I can't ever orient myself! And, come to think of it, I woke from a dream yesterday morning to find that I was still in a dream! It was rather distressing - my hair (in the dream) was damp from sweat, and all matted and curly, and I didn't have time to shower. Hmmm...anyway. It has been an adventure, to say the least.

Now, if you've kept up with the news, you know that Boston has had more than its share of snow this year. This is true. But snow is infinitely better than its wet, sniveling cousin, rain drizzle! But get the two of them together, and it's disaster! Nasty, cold weather, with constant drizzle, melting snow that contributes to the huge puddles (and I mean huge, and right where you can't walk around them, because of the 4-ft. piles of snow!), and overall stupid weather conditions for January!

Surprisingly, I'm actually in quite a good mood. This may be because I finally deposited my student loan check, and now have more than a dollar in my bank account. Or because I'm eating cashews - that always has a positive effect on my mood. But I think the reason is two-fold. First, a girl I tutored briefly in the Writing Center last semester stopped me on campus today to tell me that she specifically wanted me to tutor her writing class (I saw the job posting, but I really don't think I can squeeze in anymore this semester). It was very flattering and nice to know I'm of some help. Second, I just finished my classes for the day, and I'm really going to like them all. It's going to be tough - no way around it. And I mean, I tough! Hundreds of pages to read each week (and I'm a painfully slow reader! At least for the academic world), some major papers to write (I'll have written somewhere between 50-100 pages of research by May 10 or so), etc. But the topics are so interesting! I have never taken sociology before, but I should have! I like it! And History of Israel! So cool! I'm definitely in the right place!

Speaking of the right place, did you know that I am at the best school in the world for Israel Studies? How did I manage that!? I didn't - not even a little. Heavenly Father did. I feel so blessed. I just have to talk myself into appreciating the salad I had to satisfy myself with for dinner. Oh, and go read 100 pages of Karl Marx by Monday. Yeah, life is good.

1 comment:

  1. I am not jealous of your horrid weather right now. That sounds cold and wet, but I'm glad you are keeping a good attitude about it. Good Luck with this new semester. It sounds like you will have some tough yet enjoyable classes.

    ReplyDelete