Journeys

Journeys
Why do they cover the bridges? Anyone know?

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Christmas and New Year

Do you know, I have sat down a couple of times already to write a post - I figure it's about time. But I can't come up with anything interesting to write (it's a good thing I never became a columnist - I'd be a complete failure!). I sometimes have some little inspirations that I want to share with people, but then I get to the computer and my mind is blank. I consider my options: a) Christmas Eve/Day - we made it with minimal fighting, but it did include some heartache that I won't elaborate on; b) precious time spent with friends - it was wonderful to me, but not really anything noteworthy; c) precious time spent with family - I am not used to being so lazy! I don't know how to just lay around anymore; or d) New Years up at the Bangerter cabin with Patty and her family - my family actually came and had a pretty good time, but, other than the snowmobile dying on us, and sliding backward down the icy road in the truck with the trailer (adrenaline pumping, let me assure you!), and winding up with a jackknifed trailer stuck in the snow bank, nothing of interest to tell.

Oh, I thought of something! I went on a blind date with a very nice guy, but I wasn't super excited about the ice-skating portion of the date (the Thai food, however, was especially delightful!). It turned out that they gave out hockey skates at the Gallivan ice rink instead of the old figure skates, and my ankles appreciated the switch. I only had to sit out once, and I never even fell! Now if only my date lived in Boston too!

Another fun little tidbit is that I took my friend Brian to my high school friend Christmas party. He is a perfect companion for such an occasion - goodlooking guy, but with personality; fun, courteous, etc. It was actually quite fun, and I loved seeing some old friends.

One thing I love about having accomplished 30 first things in my life, is that I now feel a sense of accomplishment when I do something I've never done before - even if it is kind of pathetic. Case and point: I went to a movie (at a theater) all alone for the first time the other day. Another first! It was at the dollar theater (Deception was the movie, in case you'd like to know), and I was joined by several other apparently single people - mostly in the senior citizen category. Apparently, I have moved into that phase of my life. That must be how my friends feel that attend the 31 and over ward! Interesting. Luckily, in Boston my ward is 31-45, and it is great!

One last item to report: I got all A's my first semester in grad school. Can you believe it? I hardly could! I got an A- from Akkadian! I really didn't think that was even possible, but then again, I know that God is a God of miracles. That is certainly true, and I am humbled and grateful.

Well, as I begin the new year, I am committed to memorizing my 31 scriptures (having to recommit - only have 2 down!), and to losing some more weight. I will overcome the emotional/psychological barriers and eat/treat my body the way it should be. There ya go - it's public, and I will do it! Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Amber you are amazing! i love reading about you! what way to start to your year by saying out loud your goals. you will be successful because you have said it. you're awesome! good luck! and great job at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had your dedication to do more things. You inspire me to do better. Hope you had a nice break with your family.
    Congrats on the good grades. You deserve it! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete