Journeys

Journeys
Why do they cover the bridges? Anyone know?

Monday, August 16, 2010

The faces of Dorchester

I get around. That's what Shirla, the woman I live with, tells people about me. This is because I go explore the streets where I live, looking for the farmers market, grocery store, etc. And I take the train to the other places I need to go. She offers to drive me, or come pick me up from the T (subway) station, but I prefer to walk. She is a natural mother, and takes good care of me. And she gets after me when I don't call her to come pick up me up.

In my explorations, it has become very clear that I am a rarity in these parts. I get a lot of curious looks, being one of very few white people around, and with my "sweet face" and all (again, the words of Shirla). Today I wandered down to the busier part of town to check out bank accounts. Neither of the women I consulted spoke very clear English - they were both Vietnamese. But I managed.

As I made my way to the dollar store, the music playing in the shopping plaza was the old song, "Embraceable You". I felt as though I were in some kind of hoity-toity fundraising ball - other than the cool, humid air, the various faces of loiterers turned my way, and the faint garbage smell. When I left, the music had changed to Pavarati, or another variation, wailing Italian opera. And to complete the sound picture, as I walked by the grocery store, I heard vague snippets of the old whistle song from Clint Eastwood's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I just chuckled and walked on.

It rained for a while last night, and Boston was humid today. Truly. Maybe this is nothing, maybe I haven't seen anything yet. But this was the muggiest day I've ever experienced. It's like they say - everything feels sticky, but not in a sugary way. It wasn't miserable though. And it was cool. August, and the weather was in the low 70's - or at least it felt that way.

So, there's a picture for you. I don't know if anyone reads these, but thank you for your prayers and friendship. I have felt very uplifted by prayer and the Lord's Spirit. I'm grateful. Until next time...

p.s. The ice cream man is making his rounds again, only he has changed his song to "The Entertainer". This is the third time passing my street - how many times will he come, I wonder?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of what Boston is like, at least the part you are living in. I could imagine being there. Don't you love the ice cream trucks. They come around a TON here as well. You should go out and get yourself a popsicle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the 'sound picture' you created! I'm not sure how the Boston air compares to the Annapolis air, but I refer to it as "balmy". It gets really sticky sometimes, but when you lightly rub your fingers together it feels kinda silky. Since mine are quite calloused so this is unusual and can be attributed to the balmy-ness.:) Ohhh... I want to come see you! Keep "getting around"! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ambercita! I am so impressed with you! I love your spirit of adventure and faith and I think you're going to LOVE it there. Sounds like you already have friends (thanks to your sparkling personality and genuine interest in and love for other people) and your housemate sounds really marvelous. I would say "special" b/c it really sounds like the Lord put you there for a reason, and she knows it, but that might sound too cheesy, maybe? Anyhoo, i just love you and want to be more like you! I'm so glad I saw that you have this blog. Keep writing b/c i'm gonna keep reading!!! Jessica

    ReplyDelete