Journeys

Journeys
Why do they cover the bridges? Anyone know?

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Biggest First

Everything is quiet around me at the moment, except for the occasional snort from my dad sleeping in the other room (he used to shake the walls with his snoring), and the sump pump sucking the water from the basement every five minutes or so. It's quite a contrast to the way I feel inside. Tomorrow I depart for Boston. I just barely, less than an hour ago, secured a house, and it's not ideal, but I think it will be good. That mixes with the myriad other emotions and concerns that are all floating around, bumping into each other like atoms in a gas chamber that I learned about in my freshman science class. I am nervous I can't really hack it. I'm excited to live my dream. I hope I'm as smart as I think I am, and can do well enough to get into the PhD program. I hope the commute from this house isn't too long - but it's the only option I have right now. I hope my family isn't hopelessly fractured. I hope I can see my brothers play football and basketball from the internet, or something. I hope I am not too lonely. I just hope.

Those are some of my thoughts as I make my final preparations for Boston. I had a wonderful going away party the other day. So many people came. I was rather surprised that so many people loved me enough to give up their Sunday evening and wish me well. It made me tear up. My heart is already lonesome for my friends. But as I begin this new adventure, I know my Heavenly Father will take care of me. Above all, that is calming reminder that keeps me moving forward. On that note, I'd like to share this quote from Measure for Measure, by Shakespeare:

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."

So, this is the biggest first. I think it's pretty big, deserving of a few points in my "30 firsts", but I'll only count it as one. I have a few more firsts to add to the list.

18. Make falafel (July, 2010 - courtesy of Ruth Adolphson, and Peter Steenblik, who told me where to get the ready-mix kind when our attempts on our own failed miserably).
19. Get a facial (July 28, 2010 - courtesy of Amanda Fulk; and it was SO nice!).
20. Go backpacking to a place I'd never been (July 30-31 - courtesy of Brett Nielsen, primarily, who took us to a beautiful place by Guardsman's Pass).
21. Move to Boston (tomorrow, August 5, 2010 - courtesy of Brandeis University, but especially my family: I couldn't do this without their help and support).

And that's it. Next posting from Boston. Until then, Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment