Journeys

Journeys
Why do they cover the bridges? Anyone know?

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Boston in the fall

In Boston it mists. And it rains sometimes too. But in my short observation, it mists about as often as it rains. Imagine those misting machines at amusement parks - you know, that they have at certain locations in long lines, mercifully blowing out soft mist to cool you down. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, only on a huge scale. And it drizzles. Only once have I seen a good rain like the ones in Utah. But when it rains (mists) here in Boston, it lasts for a good couple of days or more, also unlike Utah. But I don't mind the mist - I just wish it didn't make the decision whether or not to use my umbrella such a difficult one!

I wrote that earlier this week, about an hour before the deluge struck. And it answered my query for real rain with REAL RAIN! As I walked across campus to catch the train, rivers ran under my feet, and I huddled under my umbrella to try to keep the rain at bay, but the wind was my fierce enemy. Not only did it sweep the rain up and under, it lifted my umbrella and threatened to pop it inside out (you know, like they do the the dad's umbrella in Mary Poppins). So I held it down tightly with one hand, while the streams of water trickled down my arm, into my shirt. Needless to say, I was soaked, top to bottom, with my hair the most dry. But I survived to tell the tale.

I'm in the full swing of things now. The life of a grad student is nothing less than academic insanity. I think of those movies like A Beautiful Mind or others where great academics go slowly insane. It's no wonder! I feel guilty because I don't dedicate as much time as maybe I should to my studies (don't get me wrong - I dedicate plenty of time), but I already feel myself hovering on the brink of insanity. As students get so deeply involved in their studies, I can see that they could easily lose the connection to reality. And then there is the time issue. I thought people were crazy, or lazy, for not working. Now I understand. I am the only person in my program I know who is working - that on top of being already behind in this course of study because there is so much I simply don't know. I started behind, and can't seem to catch up. I have so many disadvantages, that it becomes, in addition to the shear overload of work, overwhelming emotionally. I just keep praying that Heavenly Father will do all that I can't - literally. Make my mind understand in the short time I have the material that more experienced students take hours and hours to study; grant me opportunities to one day work in this field, so this whole effort, and the money involved, aren't a waste. He has taken care of me so far, and I keep giving all I have, so I trust He will continue to make up the difference.

Well, that's all for now. Looking forward this week to some friends coming. Sure do miss my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amber! sure enjoy your blog. makes me smile every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete