Journeys

Journeys
Why do they cover the bridges? Anyone know?

Monday, November 29, 2010

Turkey Firsts



Get it? "Turkey" firsts? Too cheesy for you? Yeah, a bit much for me too, but I'm so tired that I can't force myself to care much.

Do you remember those sleepless nights? You know, the ones during finals where you try to repent and frantically memorize every little bit of information your professor may or may not hold you accountable for on that dreaded piece of paper known as the final. When you think back nostalgically on your good ol' college days, think back on that too. And remember me - that I willingly submitted myself to - in fact, I'm paying big bucks to be a part of - this beastly affair. So, my life at the moment is a constant effort to stand strong against the constant waves of exhaustion, emotionally, mentally, and physically, and the fervent light of hope waiting for me at the end: I get to go home.

OK, that may be dramatic, but I already said I'm tired. I've been up since four a.m., and I think I will be every day this week. I won't be home until 10:30 tonight. Again, that will be the standard (if that!). And, really it is pretty representational of how I'm feeling.

BUT I had a TERRIFIC Thanksgiving! I successfully made a turkey, stuffing (completely from scratch - even dried the bread cubes), and gravy (also completely from scratch). I have achieved adulthood. My old college roommate/dear friend Sharon and her husband Anthony came up with their darling baby boy Ira and we had a great dinner with my roommate and some friends here. And I had PLENTY of leftovers (as my roommate constantly points out - she fails to see the joy of Thanksgiving leftovers in sandwiches, casseroles, soups, etc.). All in all, it was a success.

On Friday we went to Plimouth Plantation (yes, I can spell - that's how it is spelled). Highly recommend it! I met my ancestor, Samuel Fuller, and his wife Bridget. Of course, he wasn't aware he had progeny, so it was a bit of an awkward conversation. We also visited the Mayflower II, and I even saw a lighthouse on the way home. Could you ask for a better day-after-Thanksgiving?

Now it's back to the books. Write a paper, finish Hebrew (that final is this week - but then I only have two left), make flashcards, study old ones. All in a night's work. Happy holidays everyone. I look forward to seeing you (hopefully) soon.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you had a Happy Thanksgiving. I was worried that you were going to be all by yourself. I am so glad you had good friends with you. Great job on making it all from scratch. I could really learn from you on that. Hope all is well. Have a great week! Love ya! I also sent out your Christmas letter this week so you should be getting it soon.

    ReplyDelete